This is the first year Chinatown has ever been involved in the Canadian Tulip festival-we have some exciting things to see and fun events with …tulip-themed, of course. Festive Chinese lanterns will be hanging all up and down Somerset Street West. In Chinatown windows, tulips of every conceivable colour will be blooming.
The following businesses will have special events during Chinatown Tulips:
* Evangeline Flowers, 593 St. W. ———-Buy one lovely tulip, get one free
* The Dairy Grind Art Cafe, 601 Somerset St. W. —-Tulip shaped cookies decorated and piped with royal icing, all decked out in purple
May 5th & May 19th, 3pm – 4pm ————Workshop: Paint tulips with watercolours (Free admission)
* Mekong Asian Cuisine, 637 Somerset St. W. – May 19 2pm – 4pm, celebrate official tulips festival wine with chef Dennis Luc
* Shanghai Restaurant, 651 Somerset St. W.——– Tulip Inspired Cocktails & Martini specials.
Every weekend: tulip-inspired Cocktails & Martini specials! And here’s a teaser-Shang’s how-to Pind Tulip ‘Tini: Pour a shot of vodka (your choice of brand). Add passion fruit and mango juice to taste. Then comes the crucial ingredient-a splash of cherry grenadine. Garnish is simply a slice of dragon fruit. Do we ever love these kinds of tulips!
* Oriental Charm Houseware and Gift Shop, 653 Somerset St. W. ———— One free tulip with every purchase when shopping at this gift shop with an Asian perspective
* Raw Sugar Cafe, 692 Somerset St. W. ———————Raffle on the tulip theme.
* Art Flow Gallery , 838-60 Somerset St. W.
From 2 to 4pm every Saturday and Sunday from May 4th – 21st ——–Your stop for DIY tulips: workshops in sketching, painting, sculpture, and crafts (Free admission)
* Ottawa Bonsai & Easy Elegance, 806 Somerset St. W.—————-Buy one gorgeous tulip, get one free
* Purple Urchin, 882 Somerset St. W.—————— FWith each purchase, receive a free bar of soap moulded in the beautiful shap of a tulip. Only a limited number available, so come on in and get yours quick!