For further inquiries please contact:
Somerset Street Chinatown BIA
5-299 Bronson Ave.
Ottawa, Ontario K1R 6J1
Tel: (613) 230-4707
There are always opportunities to volunteer in Chinatown:
Each commercial property along Somerset Street West between Bay Street and Preston Street pays a levy towards the BIA, which is collected along with property taxes by the municipality. The membership applies to both tenant and property owner. The Chinatown BIA represents approximately 120 businesses, located on Somerset Street West between Bay Street and Preston Street.
Ottawa Chinatown Boundaries
How the BIA operates
Our BIA is a membership-based not-for-profit organization joined by local businesses and commercial property owners to improve, promote and undertake projects that will result in a stronger and more competitive commercial district- known as the Ottawa Chinatown.
The range of activities that our BIA undertakes include:
- business recruitment
- streetscape improvement and beautification
- seasonal decorations
- special event organization
While presenting the interest of businesses in our area, the Ottawa Chinatown BIA is committed to being socially responsible. Through working with the businesses and residents, we strive to make the Ottawa Chinatown- a multicultural village, a nice place to work, do business, live and stay!
A history of the BIA
- April 1989: the Corporation of the City of Ottawa designated Somerset Street West between Rochester Street and Bay Street as an improvement area called the Somerset Heights Business Improvement Area
- 2005: the City approved that the name be changed to the Somerset Street Chinatown Business Improvement Area
- 2008: the City has approved an expansion of the BIA boundary from Rochester Street to Preston Street